Air fryer chicken are game changer and my family’s favorite way to make chicken wings. Not only cook in 25 minutes, which is half the time they take to cook in the oven but they are also so crispy and juicy. You might want to double this recipe because they are so good and addicting. I love the sweet and smoky combination of these wings, they pair perfect with the tangy cilantro lime dressing. Don’t skip it!
What you need to make Honey Chipotle Chicken Wings
Chicken wings. For this recipe I used only drumettes because that is what I had in hand but flats will work great as well.
Baking Powder. This makes the wings extra crispy! don’t skip it.
Spices. Paprika, cumin, salt and pepper
Chipotle paste. Chipotle paste is usually mild but if you can’t find it go for the “chipotles in adobo” and use only the adobo sauce. If you want real heat use two seeded chipotle peppers.
For the Cilantro Lime Dressing
Mexican crema or sour cream, I prefer the first but sour cream works great too. You might need to add more milk to the dressing to make it smoother
spices: cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and salt
Other recipes you might like
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings – Marisol Cooks
Air Fryer Honey Chipotle Chicken Wings
- 2 lb Chicken wings (about 12 wings)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onions
- 1 big garlic clove, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chipotle pepper paste
- 1/4 cup honey
- juice 1/2 lime
- 1 finely sliced green onion
- -For the Cilantro Lime dressing-
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup mexican crema
- milk, if needed
- juice 1/2 lime
- honey to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onions powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make the dressing: Combine all the ingredients for the cilantro lime dressing in a small bowl and whisk together until smooth. Add a little milk at a time until desire consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- In a small bowl combined the salt, paprika, cumin, and ground pepper. Place half of the dry mix into a big zip top bag add add the baking powder to the mix. Reserve the rest of the spice mix for later. Add 1 tablespoon of olive to the spice mix in the bag and rub the bag with your fingers until the spices and oil form a paste. Add the chicken wings, zip the bag closed and move the wings around until they are evenly coated with the spice mix.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and place the chicken wings on the basket, making sure they don’t overlap. Cook the wings at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- While the wings are cooking make the sauce. Place large skillet on medium-low heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter, sautee the chopped onions and minced garlic until fragrant and translucent. Stir in the rest of the spice mix, chipotle paste, honey and lime juice. Simmer on low heat for about 8 minutes until the sauce is reduced and looks glossy.
- Once the wings are done transfer to the skillet and stir them around until they are evenly coated with the sauce. Transfer to a serving plate.
- garnish the wings with chopped green onions and serve with cilantro lime dressing.