I think I have made more Pastel de Elote in the last month than in my whole entire life. I have re-discovered my love for this tradicional Mexican Cake. This is a gluten free version made with Corn Flour. This flour is not only beautiful in color (orange corn) but it is great for pancakes, cakes, tortillas, crepes. It is not a gluten free mix, it is flour made out of orange corn which is even better.
What you need to make this Gluten free Mexican Corn Cake:
–Fresh corn. This cake is traditionally made with white corn but here in the US is hard to find so, yellow corn is just fine. You can also use canned corn if fresh is not available, just make sure you rinse and dry the corn.
-Sweetened condensed milk. You are going to use the whole can, this is all the sweetener you are going to add to the cake.
-Corn flour, of course. I love Professor Torbert’s Orange Corn Flour.
– Salt, baking powder and cinnamon. The last one is optional but I highly recommend it. It is just a pinch, the flavor will not be strong at all (not that is anything wrong with that).
2 sticks of butter. Room temperature.
4 Eggs. You can use 3 if they are large. Room temperature.
Vanilla. I always use Mexican vanilla, specially in Mexican recipes but of course, you can use whatever you have in your pantry.
What you need to know about this recipe:
Some blenders are more powerful than others. If you think the corn and condensed milk are too dry for your blender to process it all at once, just add it in batches. Traditional Pastel de Elote has a lot of texture, do not blend the corn completely, you should be able to see some kernels of corn in the cake.
This cake is “mildly sweet” even when you added the whole can of condensed milk you will still need something sweet to top the cake with (if you have a super sweet tooth, like I do) Some of my favorite topping are honey, caramel sauce, condensed milk, or even like they serve it in fancy restaurants; With a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. No matter what you choose, just please, serve this cake warm or at least at room temperature. You can keep it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Mexican Corn Cake/ Wheat flour: Pan de Elote/ Mexican Corn Cake – Marisol Cooks
More recipes with Professor Torbert’s Corn Flour:
Easy Corn Flour Crepes – Marisol Cooks
Find the Full Recipe below!
Mexican Corn Cake/ Gluten Free
- • 4 ears of corn
- • 1 can sweetened condensed milk.
- • 1 cup Professor Torbert’s Corn Flour
- • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- • 2 teaspoons baking powder
- • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- • 2 sticks of butter, room temperature
- • 4 eggs, room temperature
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8″ cake pan.
- shuck the corn and set aside.
- Add the condensed milk and corn to the blender and blend just for a few seconds. Do not blend until completely smooth, make sure you can still see some texture from the corn. Set aside.
- Sift to together the flour, salt and baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy, add the vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Mix until well combined.
- Add the corn mixture to the butter mixture and mix again. Add the flour in two or three batches and mix until well incorporated. The batter will be thick and lumpy, that is exactly what you want.
- Pour the batter into prepared baking dish and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool for ten minutes before removing it from the pan.
- Serve warm.
6 thoughts on “Mexican Corn Cake/ Gluten Free”
Could I use another type of flour? Like oat, rice, almond?
Hi! I have made this cake with corn flour and all-purpose flour. And both work great. It can work with another type of flour, but they texture will change a bit.
Hi there, when you say 2 sticks of butter for the gluten free corn cake, how many grams is that?
1 stick of butter equals 113 grams so two sticks is 226 grams. Hope this help!
Hi, how many grams of butter do you need? I don’t know what you mean by two sticks?
1 stick of butter equals 113 grams so two sticks is 226 grams. Hope this help