Jump to recipe
Happy March! Let’s start this month on the right note with something delicious, flavorful and healthy, “Turkey Lettuce Wraps”. Turkey meat is like a white canvas, you can infuse so much flavor in it, it’s a very friendly ingredient. This is one of my favorite ways to use ground turkey meat, I love the combinations of flavors and textures and it is also a very light and fresh meal. Perfect for the warmer weather coming up this week.
I seasoned the turkey meat with sesame oil, coconut aminos, rice vinegar and chili-garlic sauce. I added some shredded carrots for sweetness and jicama for some crunch, yes, Jicama! This dish is normally made with water chestnuts but I try to avoid them because they’re bloating to me. Jicama is the perfect substitute for water chestnuts, they’re very crunchy and crisp with a very mild flavor, they’re pretty much like a raw potato. Except less carbs.
You can use whatever lettuce you have in hand, (even collard greens for more nutrients) there’s even restaurants that serve this dish with Iceberg lettuce leaves. This time I used butter lettuce, because it is more tender and looks so pretty once it’s plated.
Find the full recipe below!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup diced jicama (sub for water chestnuts)
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon worchestire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili-garlic (add more if you like it spicy)
- Lettuce (I used butter lettuce)
- lime wedges, cilantro and sesame seeds for garnish
- Heat a medium skillet on medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the turkey and break it up with a wooden spoon, cook until brown.
- Add the shredded carrot, minced, ginger, minced garlic cloves, the white part of the green onions (reserve the greens for garnish) and diced jicama. Stir.
- In a small bowl mix together the coconut aminos, sesame oil, rice vinegar, worchestire sauce and chili-garlic sauce. pour over the turkey and stir until well combined. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- To serve, scoop a spoonful of the turkey mixture into each lettuce cup
- Garnish with lime wedges, cilantro leaves, reserved green onions and sesame seeds if desired.
© 2023 Copyright 2020 MarisolCooks.com