Ceviche is a seafood dish. It is made with fresh raw fish cured in lime juice with the addition of pico de gallo, cucumbers or mangos. The acidity of the lime is what cooks the fish, it takes a couple of hours but the wait it’s well worth it. I love ceviche with a passion but I don’t always have fresh fish in my fridge and I don’t always have the time to wait for the lime to “cook” the fish so instead, I’m substituting fish with an item that It’s always available in my pantry… chickpeas! They’re packed with protein and fiber, and the mild flavor of the chickpeas pairs perfectly with the fresh pico de gallo, cilantro and lime juice. Today I am serving it with tostadas, and for the “glue” that is going to keep the chickpeas in place, I’m using sweet, creamy delicious avocado. My mouth is watering as I am typing this!
For the pico de gallo, I diced a roma tomato and a piece of onion. My onion was pretty big so I used about a quarter of it. Add them to the bowl with the chickpeas.
I have burnt my hands with peppers many times before, and it is not fun! so the least I handle them, the better. I’m using two serrano peppers and since this type of pepper is very hot (but it is more flavorful than jalapeños) I’m getting rid of as many seeds and veins as I can. What I do is, I slice my pepper as I run knife thru one, I do this all the way around the pepper until I’m left with the seeds and veins attached stem of the pepper and discard it. I hope the pictures above explain it better. Once you have clean slices of serrano pepper, proceed to chop it and add it to the bowl.
scoop the avocado out and put it on a bowl, smash it with a fork and spread it on your tostada.
Chickpea Ceviche Tostadas/ Tostadas de Ceviche de Garbanzo.
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 roma tomatoes
- 2 serrano peppers
- Quarter of a onion
- bunch of fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 limes
- salt and pepper
- 2 avocados
- 4 tostadas
- radishes (optional)
- Drain the chickpeas and add them to a bowl.
- Dice the tomatoes and onions. Seed the serrano pepper, chop it and add all the ingredients to the bowl with the chickpeas.
- Chopped a handful of cilantro and add it to the bowl. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the juice of one lime. Taste and adjust seasoning if need it.
- Using a fork, smash your avocados in a small bowl and spread it on the tostadas and top them with the ceviche.
- julienne the radishes if you want to garnish your tostadas.