Did you grow up eating Tuna Cakes? Did you like them? I did and I didn’t. There are so many foods that I disliked growing up and now I absolutely love! Canned Tuna is one of those foods. My mom used to make these cakes and I would fuss about it. I don’t know why, they are delicious! I am just happy my palate changed and because of that, I am easy on my kids too. Maybe they’ll eat everything one day just like I do. Well, not everything, I still don’t eat Papaya but that is a different story.
These cakes only have 5 ingredients. Super easy to make and very delicious! I have learned a few tricks here and there that would help you make the perfect Potato and Tune cake.
N.1 Is to boil the potato whole. That way it will absorb less water and your cake won’t fall apart.
N2. Mix everything with a fork. If you compress or overwork the mix with your hands you might end up with a dense cake.
N3. Temperature. You need to preheat your skillet on low-medium heat for five minutes before you start to cook the cakes. This is going to give them an even browning and will also cook them through without burning the outside.
These steps have helped me to achieve the perfect Potato and Tuna Cake. These are so delicious and comforting.
I served my Potato and Tuna Cakes with a side of greens lightly dress with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Perfect lunch!
5 Ingredient Tuna and Potato Cakes
- -For the Cakes-
- 4 small potatoes
- 2 cans of tuna, drained
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- -Vegetable oil for frying
- In a sauce pan, cover the potatoes with water and boil them until fork tender about 45 minutes. Let them cool and peel.
- In a large bowl, mash the potatoes and add the tuna meat, green onions, egg, bread crumbs and season with salt and pepper. Stir everything until well incorporated.
- Form a cakes with you hands, ( if the mixture gets too sticky you can oil your hands a little bit) and place it on a baking sheet. Repeat until you finished all the mixture. You should get about 8 cakes
- Heat up a non stick skillet and add about 2 tablespoons of oil, just enough to barely cover the bottom of the skillet. Gently place the cakes on the skillet and cook in two or three batches (don’t crowd the skillet) cook for about 5 minutes on each side until done.
- Serve with a side of greens and enjoy!