This salad is a potluck favorite, or at least my potluck favorite! I was introduced to this wonderful salad at a church potluck, a few years ago. I am blessed to be surrounded by an amazing group of lovely ladies that are also great cooks! So, this is for them and our delicious feasts, I mean, potlucks.
I am addicted to this salad! I can eat the whole bowl of broccoli salad in a single sitting and I think the reason why is because it’s not only obviously delicious but it also makes my brain happy! yes, you read that right. Our brain likes it when we eat different textures, especially crunchy ones (are you surprised?). So you have the crunchy broccoli, crispy bacon, salty pumpkin seeds, sweet raisins, fatty cheese, punching onion, zippy dressing. How can you not be addicted to eating this amazing creation!
I’m going to grab my fork and eat my salad and leave you with the recipe which also happens to be super easy.
Find recipe below!
- 1 head of broccoli
- 4 strips of bacon
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by blanching the broccoli. In a big saucepan add water, about 2/3 full and bring to a boil. While the water gets to a boiling point cut the broccoli in small florets.
- Add the broccoli florets to the boiling water and leave it in for just 2 minutes. Fill up a big bowl with ice-cold water. After two minutes, take the broccoli out of the boiling water and transfer to the bowl of cold water. This will stop the cooking process and will keep the broccoli bright green and crunchy.
- Drain the broccoli and transfer to a clean bowl.
- Cook the bacon until crispy, let it cool and cut in small chunks. Set aside.
- Add the sliced onions, raisins, and cheese to the broccoli and mix.
- Make the dressing. In a measuring cup, add the mayonnaise, vinegar, and ground mustard and mix well.
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli and mix until well coated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped broccoli and pumpkin seeds, stir and serve.
© 2021 Copyright 2020 MarisolCooks.com