To say that I am obsessed with egg rolls is an understatement. So much that I would drive the distance for a good egg roll. So much that if a specialty restaurant has excellent food but not so good egg rolls you probably won’t see me there again.
It is not surprise that one of the foods I miss the most when I am eating a low-calorie diet is fried food. Egg rolls. Well, not anymore! This Egg roll in a bowl takes care of that craving without compromising the change in my currently eating habits. It comes together so fast, and it is so easy! The spicy mayo is totally optional, but it adds a nice kick and creates an extra layer if flavor.
What you need to make Egg Roll in a Bowl
How to serve Egg Roll in a bowl.
I like to serve it over a bed of greens or with brown rice. It is very flavorful on its own, honestly it doesn’t need much and even when it looks like a huge batch… it is mainly cabbage and ground pork, so it is very light but also a little addictive. Proceed with caution.
Eggroll in a Bowl
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 green onions sliced (white and green parts divided)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1lb ground pork
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger (about 1/2″ piece)
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chili sauce (optional)
- 14oz bag coleslaw mix
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- salt to taste
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- For the Spicy Mayo
- 1/4 cup Mayo
- 2-3 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt to taste
- In a large skillet heat sesame oil over medium heat. Add the diced red onion and white parts of green onions. Sautee until soft.
- Add the minced garlic and ground pork. Break up the pork with the back of a wooden spoon. Add the grated ginger and 1 tablespoon of sriracha sauce and cook until brown about 10 min.
- Add the coleslaw mix and stir until evenly combined with the pork. Season with the soy sauce, rice vinegar and salt to taste. Remove from heat.
- In a small ziptop bag add the mayo, sriracha, garlic powder and salt. Rub it between your hands to mix.
- Serve the pork-cabage mixture individual bowls. Snip off corner of the ziptop bag and gently squeeze to drizzle the spicy mayo over egg roll bowl.
- Garnish with the remaining green parts of the green onions and sesame seeds.