This is one of Mexico’s favorite breakfast, “Chilaquiles”. Crispy corn tortilla smothered in a delicious red salsa made with tomatoes and Guajillo pepper. Even when they always look so pretty and dressed up, Chilaquiles are quite simple to make. Specially if you make my version which is made with baked tortilla chips. All the tortillas chips made crispy at once in the oven while the salsa is simmering away, and while that happens I like to make a big pot (aka Keurig) of strong coffee and cook the eggs. I like to bring the skillet to the center of the table along with the crema, queso fresco, cilantro and onions and serve them family style. It is fun for everyone to add the toppings of their choice. My choice is all the toppings, of course.
These Chilaquiles make me miss home, sitting around the table with the whole familia is one of my most treasured memories.
Find the recipe below!
Chilaquiles Rojos/ Red Chilaquiles
- 8 to 10 Corn Tortillas
- 4 very ripe Roma tomatoes
- 1 guajillo pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 onion
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/3 cup crumble queso fresco
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 Eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- Make the Salsa Roja. Cut the guajillo pepper open and remove seeds and vines. Place the tomatoes and guajillo pepper in a sauce pan and cover with water. Boil until the tomato skin starts to break and the guajillo pepper is soft.
- While the salsa is making, cut the tortillas in 8 parts each. Spray a big baking sheet with cooking spray and arrange the tortilla pieces in a single layer. Spray the top with cooking spray.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Blend the tomatoes, guajillo pepper, garlic and onion until very smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a heavy bottom skillet on medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Once is hot, carefully add the red sauce (It will splash a little bit) and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the tortilla chips to the skillet, stir until well coated and remove from the heart.
- Cook the eggs.
- Top the Chilaquiles with queso fresco, Mexican crema, red onions, eggs and cilantro.
© 2021 Copyright 2020 MarisolCooks.com