Chopped steak is one of those things that can never go wrong. It is cheap, it is flavorful and unlike a real steak, you cannot cook it wrong. (well, I guess if you try really hard you can but..) I love to make this for my kids because it’s always tender and that makes it so easy for them to eat, they love it!
Now, for the grown-ups, I like to make a batch of my Ranchero Sauce and pour it all over my steak. There are many versions of ranchero sauce, some people like it really spicy, some people like more of a tomato taste but there’s no right or wrong, and I just like a happy medium.
I like sauteeing the peppers and onions in a large skillet until they get a little brown. I boil the tomatoes and them blend them with garlic and spices. Add them tomatoes to the peppers and let it cook low and slow, (or not so if you’re in a hurry) so perfect and delicious!
This salsa is great for Chopped Steak but another favorite way to use it is, with Huevos Rancheros. Give it a try!
Full recipe below.
Chopped Steak Ranchero
- For the Sauce
- 3 very ripe Roma tomatoes
- 2 Jalapeños
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the Chopped Steak
- 1 to 1 1/2lb ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- In a small saucepan add the tomatoes and enough water to cover them. Boil until the skin starts to break.
- Cut the jalapeños in half, lengthwise, and remove the seeds and veins. (leave some if you want a hot sauce) Thinly slice it and set apart.
- Slice the onion thinly, just like the jalapeños and ser apart.
- In a medium skillet add 1 teaspoon of oil and bring it to medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and peppers and cook until tender and brown.
- In a blender, add the cook tomatoes, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Add the sauce to the peppers and onions and simmer on low while you make the chopped steak.
- Heat a medium skillet on medium-high heat and add 1 teaspoon of oil.
- In a mixing bowl, add the meat, mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix with your hands and form patties, Shape them like steak. Depends on the size, you should get between 3-4 steaks. Cook until done.
- Pour the sauce over the steaks (remove the excess of fat) and serve.
One thought on “Chopped Steak Ranchero”
Thanks for the recipe. Jeff chancellor..