Tinga is a dish made with shredded chicken and lots of onions. The chicken is simmered in a rich tomato and chipotle sauce. It is great in tacos and tostadas, it is a very simple recipe but it is also full of flavor! Great to feed a crowd.
The sauce is rich, spicy with a little smoky flavor from the chipotle peppers. I like to serve with shredded lettuce and pickle onions. These two flavors and texture complement this dish so well. You can adjust the spiciness of this dish by removing the seeds and veins of the peppers. You will have all the flavor without the extra heat.
On this own, this chicken dish is Paleo, Whole30, Keto and Low Calorie friendly.
Here’s the link to my pickled onions recipe. You can leave the peppers out if you don’t want any heat.
Find the recipe for my Chicken Tinga below.
Chicken Tinga/ Tinga de Pollo
- 2 bone in chicken breasts
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 onions
- 4 very ripe Roma tomatoes
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Place the chicken breasts, one half of onion, garlic and bay leaf in a large sauce pan and cover with water. Cook for 30 to 45 minutes until chicken is done.
- While the chicken is cooking, boil the tomatoes in a small sauce pan. About 8 to 10 minutes or until the skin starts to break.
- Once the tomatoes are done, let them cool and transfer to a blender. Add the chipotle peppers and season with salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Once the chicken is done, transfer to a plate and let it cool enough to handle. Reserve the broth.
- finely Shred the chicken and set aside. Slice the rest of the onions. In a large skillet add the oil and saute the onions on medium high heat until very tender.
- Add the shredded chicken and stir until everything is well incorporated. Add the tomato and chipotle sauce and stir until combined. Add some of the chicken broth if the sauce is too thick. Simmer on low for about 10 minutes.
- Taste de chicken and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve with warm tortillas, pickle onions and shredded lettuce.