Don’t you love a creamy, rich soup? Don’t you love mushrooms? Don’t you love both? Ok, that’s too many questions but I’m guessing the answers are: “yes, of course, give me the recipe”
It is very cold in San Antonio today, 34 degrees to be exact- and I thought about so many things I wanted to cook but I didn’t have everything I needed. I opened my fridge to look for inspiration and there I found them, baby Bella mushrooms. These are super tasty and perfect for Cream of Mushroom Soup. That’s what I am making!
I thought about making a vegan or paleo version of this soup because I don’t eat a lot of
If you are following the Keto diet, this is perfect for you. And of
In a saucepan, add a teaspoon of olive oil and heat it up on medium high heat. Add the diced onion and sautee it until it starts to brown, about 3-5 minutes, it will depend on how hot the saucepan is.
To clean the mushrooms, I use a damp paper towel and rub the mushrooms with it. You just want to get rid of any dirt they might have. I had a picture but I have no idea where it went. I blame my three
Once the onion is ready, add the mushroom, dry thyme and season with salt and pepper. The mushrooms will release their juices, keep cooking until they’re brown and the juices have evaporated. About 8 minutes.
Lower the heat and add the milk and cream cheese. Simmer on low for a couple of minutes, until cream cheese has melted into the milk.
Transfer to a blender and blend until very smooth. You can also use an immersion blender for this step and blend it directly in your saucepan.
Return the soup to the saucepan and simmer on low for a couple of minutes. To serve the soup, you can garnish with Mexican crema, crème
Perfection! Everything I needed it in this super cold day.
It is creamy. It is rich. It is tasty. It is comforting. And so easy to make. Full Recipe below!
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 onion chopped
- 8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk (sub for full fat coconut milk for Paleo or Vegan)
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese (omit if Paleo or Vegan)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Mexican cream, crème fraiche or sour cream for garnish.
- Place a sauce pan on medium high heat and add 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until it starts browning, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the mushroom are brown and their juices have evaporated 5-8 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the milk and cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese is melted. Transfer to a blender and blend until very smooth.
- Return to the sauce pan and simmer for a couple of minutes or until ready to serve. Garnish with Mexican cream, crème fraiche or sour cream. Enjoy!