This is the first treat I have made in weeks! I’ve been trying to be good you guys but Halloween is here and we all need a little (or a ton) sugar these days. I made “Sugar Cookies” with the color of Candy Corn. My kids went crazy over these! My kids are more chocolate chip cookie fanatics but these sugar cookies were devour in no time. The colors are so pretty. It was my first time trying Wilton’s Icing Color and I was surprised how easy it is to work with, these are very pigmented products so you don’t really need much effort to make the dough the color you want.
The trick to working with sugar cookie dough is to work fast and keep chilling you dough. You don’t want it to get too soft before you finish cutting your cookies so it’s better to chill after each step.
I just love how they turned out, they are so pretty and easy to make. Hope you give this recipe a try!
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter at room temperature
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- orange and yellow icing coloring
- In a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and almond extract. Mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients into mix ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Divide the cookie dough into three equal parts. Wrap one of the three parts in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator.
- Add a few drops of orange coloring to one of the two remaining cookie dough and mix in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment until the cookie dough has change to the desire color. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Repeat the same process with the last part of the cookie dough.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle some flour on a clean surface and roll each bowl of dough into a rectangle about the same size each.
- for the spiral cookies: place each rectangle on top of each other and roll tightly. Chill for 30 minutes. Using a sharp knife, slice the roll into 1/4″ inch pieces. Arrange the cookies on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until firm.
- For the candy corn cookies: Cut the rectangles into strips. Arrange each strip next to each other and pinch the seams to blend in the colors. Arrange the tricolor trips on a baking sheet and chill for 30 minutes.
- Cut into triangles and bake for 8-10 minutes.