Jump to recipe
Cold front is here, Texas! That means caldo season is officially here. Caldo de Res is a very popular in Mexico, there’s chicken and beef (the second one is my favorite) Abuelitas say that caldo can cure anything, from heartaches to flu. I believe this to be the honest truth. It is also true that as soon as the weather starts cooling down we crave this delicious and comforting soup.
This is my mom’s recipe and hands down, my favorite Caldo de Res recipe. I called my mom from HEB and ask her to give me exact instructions and ingredients cause I wanted to do it right, just like she does, and I did!! Well, almost, My mom still makes the best.
Note: Beef shank is the classic cut of meat used for caldo. But I prefer using short ribs. It makes the Caldo so tasty and meaty. I Love it!
- 2Lb Short ribs
- 3 to 4 qt water
- 1/2 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 ripe Roma tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 carrots
- 2 calabacitas (Mexican zucchini)
- 1/2 cabagge
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- in a large pot add the short ribs, water, 1/2 onion (in one piece) and garlic cloves. Cook until the meat is very tender 2-3 hours.
- While the meat is cooking, slice the carrots, about 1/4″ rounds, the calabacita 1/2″ rounds and cut the cabbage in big pieces making sure the pieces have some core attached. Set aside.
- In the same pot add the tomatoes and cook them for a few minutes until the skin starts to break. Remove the tomatoes and blend them with the salt, pepper, and cumin.
- Once the meat is done remove the onion and garlic. Add the tomato sauce to the meat along with the carrots, cabbage, and cilantro. Cook for about 10 minutes until carrots are tender.
- Add the calabacitas and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Taste the caldo and adjust seasoning.
© 2022 Copyright 2020 MarisolCooks.com