As I promised! Here’s the recipe for the Tacos a Vapor Veganos. It took me longer than I intended but the recipe is finally ready for the blog.
Full recipe below!
Vegan Steamed Tacos/Tacos a vapor Veganos
- 2 large potatoes
- 3 guajillo peppers
- 1 onion (divided)
- 1 garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper to taste
- 25-30 tortillas I used (Tortiregias)
- Finely shredded cabbage for topping
- Hot Salsa
- Peel, dice and boil the potatoes until tender.
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil and add the guajillo peppers. Turn the burner off and let the peppers soak in the hot water until soft, about 5 min.
- Once the peppers are soft, blend them with 1/4 of the onion, 1 clove of garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper until very smooth.
- Strain the sauce.
- Thinly slice the remain onion.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon of oil, once it’s hot add the sauce (be careful, it will bubble) and cook for about 5 minutes (reserve about 1/4 cup for later).
- Add the cooked potatoes to the sauce and smash them, season them generously with salt and peppers. Set aside.
- Spray the tortillas both sides with cooking spray and warm them up, just until pliable. Brush the tortillas on one side with some of the remaining guajillo sauce.
- Add the potatoes on the clean side of the tortilla and start assembling the tacos in a steamer. Arrange the tacos in a circular way with the opening towards the walls of the steamer.
- Add one layer of tacos, one layer of onions and repeat until done finishing with onions.
- Cover the tacos loosely with clinging wrap and place the steamer on a pot of boiling water (the water should not touch the steamer).
- Steam the tacos for about 10 minutes. Let the tacos rest for a few minutes before serving, they may break if you rush them.
- Serve with shredded cabbage, onions, limes, and salsa.