But what is
There are many ways to cook Machacado, some like it with scrambled eggs, some with just salsa, some with both. Today I wanted to cook the dry meat with tomatoes, onions, and peppers and top it with a sunny side up egg. Instead of tacos, I served it on baked tostadas. This is something like a deconstructed
The brand of dry beef I like to buy is “El Torito Brand” and you find it at HEB or amazon.
Also, for the baked tostadas, I used “Tortiregias” You can also find them at HEB and you also can buy them from their website. www.tortiregias.com* Tortiregia is a lighter version of a corn tortilla. 3 Tortiregias + 1 corn tortilla= 22 calories! Also gluten-free.
Find the recipe below!
*links are not affiliated.
Tostadas de Machacado. Machacado Tostadas.
Dry beef is naturally salty. Taste the meat before you season it.
To make these tostadas I used the brand Tortiregias. It is a small and very thin tortilla. If you want to use regular corn tortillas, the time of cooking might vary.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2oz dried beef*
- 1 ripe roma tomato
- 1/2 onion (1/4 if big)
- 1 jalapeño (seeded)
- –For the Tostadas–
- 6 corn tortillas*
- –Optional toppings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the tortillas on a baking sheet (don’t overlap) and spray both sides with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes turning once or twice while cooking.
- While the tortillas are baking, dice the tomato, onion, and jalapeño. Set aside.
- Heat a medium size skillet and add about 1tbs oil.
- Add the dry beef to the skillet and cook, stirring constantly for just a quick minute. Do not burn it, it will happen fast.
- Add the veggies to the dry meat and stir.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of water, turn the heat to low, cover and let it cook for a few minutes just until the veggies are completely soft and juicy.
- Once the tostadas are done, take them out of the oven and let them cool completely.
- Build the tostadas adding some of the machacado, a fried egg, avocados, and salsa. Eat immediately.