Arroz con Pollo is one of those dishes I used to eat almost every weekend. My grandmother cooked many versions of it. Rice with chicken, rice with chicken and beans, rice with chicken and veggies, all delicious. My favorite… simply rice and chicken, nothing else. I’ve been thinking about it all weekend but I’ve been so busy I didn’t have time to make it until today, Monday; everything slows down on Mondays and I can get back in the kitchen and do what I love which is cooking (and eating). Tonight for dinner I made my version of Arroz con Pollo, I used cauliflower rice instead of regular long grain rice, the reason? because I can. And because it’s delicious! The key is the sauce where the chicken cooks in, it’s my basic tomato sauce except that I added Mexican oregano to make it extra fragrant and special.
Heat large skillet on
Arroz de Coliflor con Pollo/ Cauliflower rice with chicken
- For the tomato sauce
- 4-5 ripe Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 onio
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- For the Chicken
- 4 pieces of chicken
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower rice
- Make the sauce. In a medium sauce pan add the tomatoes and cover with water. Boil on medium high heat for about 10 min. When ready, blend the tomatoes, onion, garlic and spices until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the skillet on medium high. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Add the 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet and brown the chicken about 5 minutes per side. Once the chicken is done, set aside and get rid of most of the fat in the skillet.
- Adjust your temperature to low. Add the sauce to the skillet and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning if need it.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and add 2 serrano peppers (optional) Cover and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Using a spoon add the cauliflower rice to the skillet placing it in between the pieces of chicken, making sure it is cover with the sauce.
- Cover and cook for 5 more minutes. Serve immediately.