This is a recipe you want to save! You are going to love my Southwest Egg Rolls with Avocado Ranch. I used left overs rotisserie chicken which made it easier and so much faster to make. You can make 20 egg rolls in 40 minutes or less, can you believe that? Just mix all the ingredients in a bowl fill the egg roll wrappers, roll, and fry. The egg roll wrappers are so thing they turn golden brown and crispy in just a few minutes. Please don’t skip the avocado Ranch! This super creamy dressing is so versatile and delicious, you are going to love it as much as I do.
What you need to make Southwest Egg Rolls with Avocado Ranch:
Chicken. I always use left over rotisserie chicken
Black beans. Rinsed.
Green chiles. Go for mild if you don’t want a lot of heat.
Bell peppers, onions and green onions.
Sour cream. Most people don’t use sour cream but I like the creaminess it gives to the filling.
Chili Powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Egg Rolls skins/wrappers.
For the Avocado Ranch
Garlic and onion powder
What you need to know about this recipe:
First of all. Don’t skip the Avocado Ranch! It goes perfect with these egg rolls, they are meant to be together. The acidity from the buttermilk keeps the avocado green and it will remain like that for a few days so don’t worry, it won’t turn brown and yucky if you have any left overs for the next day.
This recipe makes 20 egg rolls. You might think you don’t need that many and might want to make a small batch and do less work but let me tell you, they cook very quickly! If you have a big enough skillet you can cook up to five at a time and once they are in the hot oil it only takes five minutes or less to get crispy and golden brown. They also freeze great! You can reheat them in the oven or air fryer and they will be perfect again.
Find Recipe below!
Southwest Egg Rolls
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can black beans, rinse
- 1 7oz can green chiles
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 green onions
- 20 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg, whisked with 1 teaspoon water for egg wash
- oil for frying
- FOR THE AVOCADO RANCH
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl mix together the chicken, corn, beans, green chiles, bell pepper, red onions, cheddar cheese, sour cream, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and onions.
- On a flat clean surface place and eggroll wrapper with one of the corners facing you (diamond shape) Scoop about 1/4 cup of the eggroll mixture into the bottom center.
- Fold up the bottom once and then fold in both sides of the wrapper and roll it up making sure it’s nice and tight. Brush the end with a little egg wash and press down to seal. Set aside and repeat with the rest of the wrappers and mixture.
- Fill a heavy bottom skillet with about 1″ of oil. The temperature should be around 375 degrees when it is ready to fry. You can taste it by dropping a tiny piece of eggroll wrapper into the oil and if it sizzles, it is ready.
- Add the egg rolls (you can do four of five at the time depending on the size of your skillet) and fry for about 2-3 minutes, flip and continue cooking until golden brown. It will take about 5 minutes total. Transfer the eggrolls to a cooling rack while you finish the rest.
- Let the eggrolls cool for five minutes before serving.
- While the eggrolls are cooling, make your avocado ranch. In a blender, add the avocado, mayo, buttermilk, garlic powder, onion powder and parsley. Season with salt and pepper and blend until smooth.
- Serve the eggrolls with the avocado ranch.